In Texas, each vehicle you own must have insurance coverage that meets or exceeds the following standards:
- At least $25,000 for bodily injury or death to one person per accident.
- At least $50,000 for bodily injury or death to two or more people in an accident.
- At least $25,000 for property damage in an accident.
Driving uninsured will result with a fine of at least $175. If you are fined again, the fees can increase exponentially, and you could lose your driver’s license and vehicle if you commit a third offense.
Texas Department of Insurance
Austin, TX 78701
P.O. Box 149104
1-800-252-3439 (463-6515 in Austin)
Toll Free: 1-800-578-4677
Web Site: www.tdi.state.tx.us
Texas (TX) Mandatory Auto Insurance Minimums:
- Liability: 20/40/15 = Bodily Injury Individual/Bodily Injury Total Per Accident/Property Damage
- Regulations Regarding Proof of car insurance: Proof Required – When Obtaining Registration, If Involved In An Accident
- Penalties For Not Carrying Mandatory Insurance: First Offense = Fine of up to $350