Mississippi has financial responsibility laws that do not necessarily require drivers to purchase a policy with liability coverage.
- Mississippi requires all vehicles to be insured.
- You must have proof of financial responsibility with you at all times. If you have a liability policy, you will need your insurance ID card in your vehicle at all times
- The minimum liability amounts are: $25,000 per person for injuries, $50,000 per accident for injuries, and $25,000 per accident for physical damage to another vehicle or someone else’s property.
Mississippi law does not allow a police office to pull you over just to verify that you have proof of insurance. If you cannot provide proof of insurance, you will have to pay a fine of $1,000 for a first offense. Your driving privileges will be suspended for a year or until you provide proof of insurance.
Mississippi Insurance Dept.
1001 Woolfolk State Office Bldg.
501 North West Street
Jackson, MS 39201
PO Box 79
Jackson, MS 39205
Mississippi (MS) Mandatory Auto Insurance Minimums:
- Liability: 25/50/25 = Bodily Injury Individual/Bodily Injury Total Per Accident/Property Damage
- Regulations Regarding Proof of car insurance: Proof Required – If Involved In An Accident, If Stopped By Authorities When Driving
- Penalties For Not Carrying Mandatory Insurance: Fine up to $500 plus license suspension