The compulsory laws regarding insurance requirements in Massachusetts include bodily injury coverage, property damage coverage and personal injury protection (PIP). This insurance at the minimum amounts is required in order to register a vehicle in the state.
- If you are driving on public roads and highways, you must carry the minimum levels of insurance or risk suspension of your vehicle registration and drivers license.
- The minimum levels of coverage are:
- Personal Injury Protection: Provides coverage for up to $8,000 in work loss and medical expenses no matter who is at fault in an accident.
- Property damage coverage: Minimum of $5,000 for damage or destruction to property of others in an accident.
- Bodily Injury Coverage: $20,000 minimums per person for anyone accident or $40,000 maximum for persons injured in an accident.
- Your license will be suspended, if you are found to be driving without the insurance required by the state. The fees for having your license restored are quite steep and can immediately take away any savings you may have found for driving without insurance or with less than the minimum required.
Massachusetts Div. of Insurance
One South Station, 5th Floor
Boston, MA 02110-2208
Web Site: www.mass.gov/doi
Massachusetts (MA) Mandatory Auto Insurance Minimums:
- Liability: 20/40/5 = Bodily Injury Individual/Bodily Injury Total Per Accident/Property Damage
- Other Mandatory Insurance: Personal Injury Protection, Uninsured Motorist — No-Fault State
- Regulations Regarding Proof of Insurance: Proof Required – When Obtaining Registration
- Penalties For Not Carrying Mandatory Insurance: Fine up to $5000 plus jail term of up to one year