While most states have very specific guidelines about required insurance, minimum coverage and documentation standards, Iowa’s policies are remarkably different.
- In Iowa, if you are in an accident in which more than $1,000 of damage is caused, you are required to show that you’re financially capable of covering the costs of the accident.
- Failure to meet this requirement could result in the loss of your license.
- Proof of financial responsibility is not required if your vehicle was operated without your permission, the accident occurred while your car was legally stopped, or when no property or persons other than yourself is damaged or injured.
Iowa auto insurance Div.
330 Maple St.
Des Moines, IA 50319-0065
Toll Free: 1-877-955-1212
Web Site: www.iid.state.ia.us
Email: Contact Page
Iowa (IA) Mandatory Auto Insurance Minimums:
- Liability: 20/40/15 = Bodily Injury Individual/Bodily Injury Total Per Accident/Property Damage
- Regulations Regarding Proof of Insurance: Proof Required – If Involved In An Accident, If Stopped By Authorities When Driving
- Penalties For Not Carrying Mandatory Insurance: Confiscation of license plate