Insurance laws vary from state to state, so it is vitally important to understand your state’s regulations. Laws can vary on liability insurance requirements, mandatory insurance and even your obligations when encountering a police officer.
- Insurance is required for all vehicles in Florida. Anyone who lives in Florida for 90 days (total, not consecutive) in a 365-day period is required to purchase personal injury protection and property damage liability insurance to cover their vehicles.
- Under the Financial Responsibility Law, vehicle owners must have minimum coverage to cover damage to other people or vehicles. This involves situations such as crashes or DUI citations. The minimum requirements are $10,000 to cover bodily injury liability for one person, $20,000 to cover bodily injury liability to more than one person, and $10,000 for property damage liability.
- Under the No-Fault Law, you are required to obtain coverage for your vehicle and yourself if you suffer injuries in an accident. The minimums are $10,000 for personal injury protection and $10,000 for property damage liability.
- Any vehicle with a valid tag and registration in the state of Florida must be covered by an insurance policy. This applies to garaged vehicles and vehicles that are driven daily. If you fail to get proper insurance, you risk losing driving privileges.
- Failure to have insurance that meets minimum coverage standards can result in a three-year suspension of your license and registration, plus a fee up to $500.
- If you cancel your coverage, the state will immediately request a verification of new insurance from you. Failure to respond can result in suspension of your license until you obtain new coverage.
Florida Office of Insurance Reg.
200 E. Gaines St.
Tallahassee, FL 32399
Web Site: www.floir.com
Florida (FL) Mandatory Auto Insurance Minimums:
- Liability: 10/20/10 = Bodily Injury Individual/Bodily Injury Total Per Accident/Property Damage
- Other Mandatory Insurance: Personal Injury Protection, Uninsured Motorist — No Fault State
- Regulations Regarding Proof of Insurance: Proof Required – When Obtaining Registration, If Involved In An Accident, If Stopped By Authorities When Driving
- Penalties For Not Carrying Mandatory Insurance: First Offense = Revocation of License and/or Registration